Snakes and Radio


On Saturday, Rosemary, my two year old daughter, and I set off to explore the private nature reserve called Basskloof. The perimeter is shared with the Redhill section of Table Mountain National Park, and the edge of Scarborough Conservation Village. Anyone can enter for a nominal fee of R10, purchased from the Mouse Trap shop in Scarborough. The small reserve has much to offer, with stunning views of the mountains in the Cape Point Nature Reserve, and the Atlantic Ocean. Many plant species thrive in the hilly terrain, and in October you can see an entire vlei of white Chin Cherinkees in the upper valley connecting Scarborough with Table Mountain National Park. In the winter months mountain springs, and little streams tumble over boulders into the valley. There is also an abundance of wildlife including birds, tortoises and.... not to be forgotten snakes.

Rosemary was trotting a few metres ahead and from nowhere her legs were suddenly entwined with the body of a snake. Without hesitation I pulled her next to me. The snake was lifted up in the confusion of legs, and landed between our feet. It once again its long body wrapped round both Rosemary's ankles. I grabbed Rosemary, and sprang metres away, hoping the snake would shake itself free without biting her. The last view we had was the distinct white pattern on its back as it slithered under a nearby boulder.


I think most Mum's would find it rather hard to watch a snake entwining itself around their offspring. So the 'keeping still and backing away quietly' option was this time ignored. Back home we used our "What's that Snake?" book to try and determine what species we had encountered. Rosemary had great fun pointing at each picture and exclaiming, "I think its that one!" Perhaps a common Egg Eater? We'll never know for sure.



Our snakey afternoon was soon forgotten as I made my way to the SABC studios in Sea Point. Michael Abrahamson who is anchor for the SAFM Sports Special on Saturdays had selected to interview me on my book, In a High and Desperate Place. He is a great presenter, and I was very chuffed he chose to finish reading my book over watching his favorite soccer team win their match!



I didn't get to find out who won the free copy, but its worth tuning in on a Saturday afternoon as there are a few books that have been up for grabs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons for Life and Business from Climbing Sea Cliffs: Adversity vs Uncertainty

BBC World Service Outlook Series

Plastic Free July