Cycling for Success with The British Red Cross Disaster Fund

Rachel Colenso Speaking at the International Mangement Conference in
Frankfurt, Germany
Recently I was invited to speak at The LSG Sky Chefs International Management Conference in Frankfurt -a wonderful event with their management teams from across the globe flying to Frankfurt to participate.

Of course such events are normally accompanied by some sort of team building event, and I have witnessed the most extraordinary team days... from construction of paper bridges to on one occasion leading a group of senior executives up a vertical cliff face with a herd of storming elephants crashing towards us from below. (Botswana can be a rather adventurous choice for hosting your conference). The LSG Sky Chefs also provided a unique team building experience; something I had never done before - we cycled up a virtual mountain in Majorca!

The VIT Conference facitiation team led the cycling event on a stage facing the conference participants on their bikes. The attractive German female cycling champion rode up front, giving added inspiration and I rode alongside... trying not to let the side down! -Cycling uses a totally different set of muscles, or at least that was my little excuse. Behind was a large screen displaying the winding uphill climb of one of Majorca's toughest ascents. I helped with hoops of encouragement between trying not to appear too breathless as we steamed along in a virtual peleton.

Walter Gehl, CEO of LSG Sky Chefs had generously offered to donate a Euro for each kilometre cycled by every member of the team to support a charity that is very close to my heart, British Red Cross International Disaster Fund. I had decided to support this chairty after my baby daughter had contracted a very rare eye disease. She was treated at the Children's Hospital in South Africa where I witnessed mothers and fathers carrying their sick children sometimes for days to get help. Many of these families had to overcome great hurdles just to get there. My daughter is now better, thanks to the fantastic medical treatment she received. For many families sleepless nights and worry about their children's health and safety is continuous because of the extreme circumstances they are living in.

Rachel Colenso receives the big cheque at LSG SKy Chef HQ
The Disaster Fund gives immediate emergency assistance across the globe, whether it's food, shelter, healthcare or another form of support. Nobody can predict the exact location of the next flood, cyclone, earthquake or violent conflict. But when they do happen, the Red Cross must be ready to act as soon as needed. Thanks to the Disaster Fund , the Red Cross can make sure it is ready to give people the help they need in an emergency. I was absolutely thrilled and deeply moved that LSG Sky Chefs suprised me with this offer, and provided such generous support for such a worthy cause.

After receiving the big cheque in Germany it had a long journey in taxi cabs, an aeroplane and underground tube to reach its final destination. I was given a special seat on the return flight with two spare seats for the cheque to 'sit on' near first class, and my daughters helped me carry it right across London to the British Red Cross headquarters!


You can support me by making a donation through my fundraising page virginmoneygiving.com/RachelColenso



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons for Life and Business from Climbing Sea Cliffs: Adversity vs Uncertainty

BBC World Service Outlook Series

Plastic Free July